Monday 13 September 2010

Court Reporting

You hear it all the time in the news, the papers or on the radio, but when you’re sat in front of real case it’s a whole different experience. A real court, with a real judge, defendant, victim, solicitors and more, you definitely don’t need to be a law student to recognise it all.

For a minute it’s as though the whole experience isn’t real, but you soon realise these are real people with their livelihood at stake right infront of your eyes. Possession of drugs, rape and fraudulent offences are only a few of the many cases that take place, all with similar criminal charges, but the stories are all so different.


I initially got to the court for 1pm excited to be at the forefront of a real trial, only to be greeted by the security guard who told me to return in an hour as everyone was out for lunch. So I was given an hour to bide my suspense as well as get a bite eat.

I then returned at 1:45 ready and rearing to go. On entrance I was searched by security as part of court procedure, and then shown to the programme of trails that would be taking place. ‘Today is youth court’ the guard explained, as he pointed at the brown board. I just nodded, not 100% sure what he meant, but gathered that hearings held would be particularly for young people.


So I took my pick and chose court 2, there was 6 other courts in procession that day. ‘You’ll have to speak to the usher’, the guard pointed at a man strolling around in a long black cloak, it reminded me of something out of a Harry Potter. But all jokes aside the atmosphere was very different, weird and airy. No one looked happy, there was a feeling of tension amongst the room, but I guess what you can really expect when you’re in a place where perpetrators of civil law are judged and may face imprisonment?

I stood in the lobby for about 10mins, at around 1:55pm the door to court two was opened, as the families of the defendants entered so did I. I could tell from the looks on their faces there were all thinking ‘Who the hell is she…’, but I didn’t care I was there to compete my court reporting task. So I took my seat on the far left of the front row of three benches. On my right I saw two other women with note-pads; this made me feel a bit more comfortable. I saw them speak to the usher to confirm the place on the bench, moment later I soon followed suit and made my enquiry, ‘Is it alright if I listen to the case’ I asked, ‘Of course, just make sure your phones switched off’ she replied. Of course anyone can go into court and watch a case, but when you’re stared at by a random family you get the obvious impression that you’re more than no wanted.

There was a knock on the door ‘all rise’, the usher commanded and like soldiers in an army everyone in the court including myself rose to there feet to greet the judge and the magistrates. As soon as they took their seats so did we and the hearing began. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment