Wednesday 29 September 2010

FAD - London Fashion Week

As part of London Fashion Week I attended the yearly FAD Fashion show held in Holborn. The FAD programme gives a platform to young designers nd allows them to showcase their work to a live audience as well as network with wel known figures within the fashion industry.

The FAD group spent a week at one of London top design university's expanding on their skills and building their final pieces. I caught up with one of the young designers Sinead Cloonan who took part in FAD course to find out about her experience.


Why did you join FAD?

I was in college and my textiles teacher told us about the course and one of my mates did it the year before, so I thought why not try it, plus I wanted to get in to a good uni to do my art foundation, so I thought, whatever extra I can write on my personal statement would help.

What makes you different from other designers?


I wouldn't call myself a designer until I graduate from uni with a fashion degree and say to myself this is what I want to do 100% , because right know I know I want to be in the fashion industry.

What did you learn from FAD?


I learned that pattern cutting is probably the most essential skill you need to be a good fashion designer, Alexander McQueen proved it.

What obstacles have you faced and how have you overcome them?

I found the whole construction process hard. Laying out your designs on paper is completely different to cutting it out on fabric and sewing it together. I had never used a industrial sewing machine before, it really annoyed me because it was so fast. I overcame it by trying to do as much sewing at home on a machine I was used to. But, really I should have just got used the industrial machines to be hones.

No comments:

Post a Comment